Creating a Culture of Sustainability
The Sustainability Office fosters a culture of sustainability at UCSC by actively engaging students, staff, faculty and community members through education, leadership development, institutional change and behavioral transformation. As a campus resource, the Sustainability Office provides information, tools, policy advice and facilitation for key sustainability plans and policies.
Goals of the UC Santa Cruz Sustainability Office
- Institutionalize sustainability. Work proactively to integrate sustainability into the core responsibilities and daily activities of faculty, students, and staff.
- Improve Environmental Performance / Manage the Campus Sustainability Plan. The Sustainability Office facilitates and manages UCSC's Campus Sustainability Plan and continues to support the campus to refine, track, and implement goals and benchmarks for campus sustainability.
- Create centralized communication, coordination, outreach, and education. Create a central space for coordination of campus sustainability activities and educational initiatives.
- Reduce Greenhouse Gases and Plan for Climate Action. Work with faculty leadership, facilities staff, and administrators to finalize our Climate Action Plan and implement project that will result in Greenhouse Gas emissions reductions.
- Integrate sustainability into the classroom. Build bridges between operations and teaching and research to establish UCSC as a living, learning laboratory in which students can learn and apply sustainability principles and techniques.