Climate Action Plan
The UCSC Summary Climate Action Plan was approved by the Chancellor's Executive Committee for Sustainability and Climate Change in October 2012. It is available on the ACUPCC Reporting Site.
UC carbon reduction goals are:
- 2000 levels by the year 2014
- 1990 levels by 2020
- 80% below 1990 levels by 2050
UCSC Climate Commitments
- In March 2007, The president of the University of California system signed the American College and University Presidents Climate Commitment (ACUPCC).
- The UC Policy for Sustainable Practices commits each University of California Campus to specific climate protection targets
- The Chancellor of UCSC signed the Climate Action Compact on September 26th, 2007, commiting to working collaboratively with the city and county of Santa Cruz on climate protection.
These three documents hold UCSC accountable for creating a long-term plan for reducing emissions. A UC system-wide Climate Action Working Group has also been created to monitor the progress of each campus. Additionally, UC Santa Cruz has committed itself by joining the California Climate Action Registry.